Wednesday, January 10, 2007

how do bloggers do it?

How do bloggers do it? No, not THAT "it"... get your minds out of the gutter... and besides, bloggers love their computers which means... oh, never mind...

How do bloggers manage to create new posts daily? Some cheat by grabbing a headline and a link, adding a couple of pithy comments and leave it at that... but some bloggers write volumes of opinions, thoughts, analysis, you name it... every day!

Some of them, I suppose, don't have kids, spouses, mortgages, full-time jobs, overtime, on-call time, you name it... all the encumbrances of a modern life. Some of them do and yet, they manage to crank out stuff. Sometimes good stuff; sometimes not so good but the point is... they're producing.

I suppose, in a way, a blog is like a journal or diary. One of my great-uncles was an author. I can barely remember him but he wrote daily, usually in his journal, sometimes for the newspaper and he had a couple of books. For some reason, I have the impression that my mother didn't like him. Certainly, he and my great-aunt (the blood relative) didn't visit at our home. One of these days, I'll have to ask about that. Getting answers from Mom isn't always easy... Once I'm done here, I'm going to go see what I can dig up about him on the Net as I just realized I don't even know what kind of books he wrote; fiction or nonfiction or ??

Perhaps I'm just too fussy. Sometimes, I write and rewrite, don't like the result, dump it into a file and forget about it. Other times (like now) I just write off the cuff.... but I don't make entries daily (as you can tell) and most aren't long.

My motivation for starting blogging was a bit obscure. During the 2004 election, I saw references to blogging, both in print and regular MSM and on new aggregators. I read and lurked for a while and I used to occasionally post remarks on a variety of blogs. Then a blogger who I often read and occasionally posts on changed his settings so non-registered bloggers couldn't comment. I didn't realize there was a difference between registering and starting a blog so I did both at the same time. Suddenly, I was a blogger... the world's slowest and inconsistent blogger but there I was, nevertheless.

Hmmmm, now I'm going to go search up my great-uncle's name. I hope he didn't write under a pseudonym.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I give the articles on childcare then throw in my 2 cents, takes me about 10 min. What takes so long is answering the damn comments lol...

1:50 PM  
Blogger Mac said...

Perhaps that's where I go wrong... I keep trying to put forward my original thoughts instead of simply commenting on the daily news of the world? That being said, some guys write volumes of material... daily... so I guess they don't have to work for a living or raise a family or have a life?

9:31 PM  
Blogger trustonlymulder said...

I work a full day everyday and some days it comes easier and i get three posts up, other days i can't get my mind in gear for even one. The videos for me are pretty easy and I can pump one out in an hour of leisure time.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home