Sunday, September 17, 2006

feast or famine

The past two weeks were an absolute zoo at work. While the overtime helps to pay the bills, it'd be nice to have a life outside of work but long hours makes for accumulative fatigue. My wife and kids aren't too happy when I'm gone all the time... which doesn't help my stress level. I've managed to keep up a few of my extracurricular activities but the priority hasn't been blogging.

Then, to make bring everything back into perspective, my mother had a health scare. While attending a family function, my sisters noticed Mom's lower lip was drooping and insisted she go to the hospital. It was initially diagnosed as a mini-stroke but testing revealed it wasn't a stroke at all. She has a minor episode of "Bell's Palsy" which is a nerve affliction which causes facial paralysis.

Most cases of Bell's Palsy are caused by viral infection in the ear, eyes, nose or throat and are short-term. Occasionally, those afflicted have permanent nerve damage. Canada's most famous case of Bell's Palsy is The Right (Left?) Honourable (yeah, right!) Former Prime Minister Jean Chretien.

Given a choice between a minor stroke and a minor episode of Bell's Palsy, I'd take Bell's Palsy any day of the week. That reminds me... I'd better give Mom a call and see how she's doing...

-Mac

1 Comments:

Blogger Joanne (True Blue) said...

I'm glad it wasn't a stroke, Mac! We went through a similar scare with my Mom a couple of years ago. Turned out to be something else, thank God. It does put things into perspective though. Now Mom is driving again, which is great!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home